Wednesday, June 25, 2008

How to turn back in Albania

By Gjergj Erebara in Sarajevo

This is a very strange situation. During the last week, I have traveled from Tirana to Skopje, Sofia, Belgrade and Sarajevo and wasn’t an issue at all. Now I was searching around google to find an way to travel back home, and surprisingly, I discovered that there is not any direct line by bus to go from Montenegro to Shkodra in north Albania. I have found just that it is possible to use a taxi for Shkodra, which costs 70 Euro. It is almost all what I have paid to travel all around Balkans. Now, I understand why there are so many young European tourists in every city of the region and why are so few those who reach Tirana. It is so much expensive. Anyway, I hope to save my money by reaching Ulcinj, in the southern edge of Montenegro, because from there is a kind of informal urban transport by vans. It costs 5 euro. I hope so. Albania is the last country in Europe without an international rail connection. And it is also the most expensive destination that a European tourist can reach.

No comments: